SENATE BILL 370
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
William P. Soules and Gail Armstrong
RELATING TO CHILDREN; CREATING THE "ANNA, AGE EIGHT INSTITUTE FOR THE DATA-DRIVEN PREVENTION OF CHILDHOOD TRAUMA AND MALTREATMENT" AT NORTHERN NEW MEXICO COLLEGE; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of Chapter 21, Article 4 NMSA 1978 is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] ANNA, AGE EIGHT INSTITUTE FOR THE DATA-DRIVEN PREVENTION OF CHILDHOOD TRAUMA AND MALTREATMENT-- CREATION--MISSION.--
A. The "Anna, age eight institute for the data-driven prevention of childhood trauma and maltreatment" is created at northern New Mexico college. The institute shall:
(1) use a data-driven, cross-sector and system strategy for preventing adverse childhood events statewide;
(2) provide a strategic framework, consultation, forums, training, coaching and technical assistance for adverse childhood event prevention statewide; and
(3) support stakeholders in addressing the root causes of adverse childhood events in communities statewide, in order to customize solutions based on a community's resources, demographics and cultures.
B. The following agencies shall provide technical assistance and execute memoranda of agreement with the institute for the sharing of data with the institute:
(1) the children, youth and families department;
(2) the public education department;
(3) the higher education department;
(4) the human services department;
(5) the department of health;
(6) institutions of higher education in the state;
(7) county governments; and
(8) municipal governments.
C. The institute shall seek to enter memoranda of agreement with the governments of New Mexico Indian nations, tribes and pueblos for the provision of technical assistance and the sharing of data with the institute.
D. The board of regents of northern New Mexico college shall adopt and promulgate rules to govern the establishment, administration and duties of the institute in accordance with the provisions of this section.
E. As used in this section, "institute" means the Anna, age eight institute for the data-driven prevention of childhood trauma and maltreatment."
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--Five million dollars ($5,000,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the board of regents of northern New Mexico state school for expenditure in fiscal year 2020 to establish, administer and carry out the duties of the Anna, age eight institute for the data-driven prevention of childhood trauma and maltreatment established pursuant to Section 1 of this act. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of fiscal year 2020 shall revert to the general fund.
- 3 -