HOUSE BILL 7
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
Micaela Lara Cadena and Tomás E. Salazar
RELATING TO HIGHER EDUCATION; CREATING CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE AT HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS TO PROMOTE DEVELOPMENT IN THE CYBERSECURITY, SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE, RENEWABLE ENERGY INDUSTRIES AND BIOSCIENCE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of Chapter 21 NMSA 1978 is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE.--
A. A "center of excellence" is established at the following higher education institutions:
(1) the New Mexico institute of mining and technology to work toward developing and promoting innovation in and expanding cybersecurity industries;
(2) New Mexico state university to work toward developing and promoting innovation in and expanding sustainable agricultural industries;
(3) San Juan college to work toward developing and promoting innovation in and expanding sustainable and renewable energy industries; and
(4) the university of New Mexico health sciences center-affiliated entity, the New Mexico bioscience authority, to continue its work toward developing, promoting innovation in and expanding the bioscience industry in New Mexico.
B. Each center of excellence provided for in Subsection A of this section shall foster excellence in the noted field through:
(1) collaboration among leaders of the state's agencies, higher education institutions, business sector, national laboratories and community organizations;
(2) the development by those leaders of strategies to accomplish that aim; and
(3) the execution of those strategies.
C. Each center of excellence provided for in Subsection A of this section shall:
(1) actively seek, and may accept, public and private funding for its work;
(2) establish short- and long-term goals for job creation, business creation and private equity investment outcomes of its work; and
(3) beginning in 2020, report annually to the higher education department and the legislative finance committee on its goals and achievements."
SECTION 2. EFFECTIVE DATE.--The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2019.
- 3 -